Friday, August 16, 2013

We did it! *PDB accomplished!*




Estella and I put our foot in history along with 4,000+ women/babies across the United States with an event at UrbaBaby in Wicker Park held by the bump for their “Public Display of Breastfeeding Day” (PDB).


When I started this awareness project, I thought that I could just go to a park or something and breastfeed without a cover to take part in the day. However, as the time grew closer, I felt a pull to want to be a part of an actual event, although taking the plunge to drive to the city was not very appealing to me.

The best part of planning was the support I received from my husband who urged me to go and my cousin (that lives in Chicago) who agreed to tag along with me so I wouldn’t go by myself (three of my cousins actually ended up coming!) I took the pledge and posted on FB that I was going to go to this event and actually had fellow breastfeeding moms who were inspired just by that. (Secretly) though I only did that for myself initially because I didn’t want to suddenly back out! (hehe)

I am very comfortable with nursing with a cover...even though Estella has been starting to uncover us. Using a cover has allowed me to nurse anywhere and everywhere. Being a Laotian Christian is kind of a double whammy with being “conservative” and then add in being “very blessed”...well, I always felt nursing without a cover (for me) was not “appropriate”. Weirdly enough, here I am writing about breastfeeding awareness!

While I was deciding on what to wear, I thought about wearing a shirt that could cover the top of my boob plus a camisole that would cover my belly. Well I figured, if I’m going to be all boobs out, might as well be more obvious just cause. So I wore a button up shirt so that I wouldn’t be able to really hide. Traffic was horrific on the way there...so it would have been so much easier to just stay home and not be a part of this movement.

I had no idea what to expect before going to the event. As we walked up to the boutique (we arrived around 1:30p and the event was from 12-3pm), I noticed that we were the only people there at first. I thought to myself, Oh man...I have to do this boob thing all on my own. We were greeted by Danielle (the advertising manager for the bump) as well as the owner of UrbaBaby, Marti. I was shocked at the amazing goodie bag I received just for showing up. It was a pleasant surprise and made me feel rewarded for just taking the plunge and going!

Here’s what everyone got that attended the event:

Full size travel Boppy pillow
Shirt from Boppy that says “Whether your milk comes from jugs or cans, Boppy supports you.”
Travel wipes with a travel container
2 bibs (one large junior bib)
Pediped shoes (my favorite! We love this brand...great for foot development.)
Boon Multi-use teething thing
Earth’s Best organic baby food (1 jar)
Mirror for a baby carrier (such a cool idea)
Baby Legs leg warmers
Ju-Ju coin purse
Lactation tea bag
Lactation cookies
Kangacare pocket diaper
Belli facial hydrator
Bamboobies reusable nursing pads (I love these!)
**Marti was also very generous and gave me a $20 gift card plus an UrbaBaby shirt!**

Since I showed up later than the start, I was the only mom there but they told me they had a line of people who showed up around 11:45a! What a great turn out! I took the initiative to do what I came to do, BREASTFEED IN PUBLIC!

We walked on to the park bench right outside the store, and boom. Estella and I took a small step in breastfeeding awareness history. A memory we will have forever. My amazing cousins came to be my support team (as well as my paparazzi). Once I got over my initial feeling of butterflies in my gut, the rest was liberating.

It felt natural...okay...normal...and best of all, AMAZING. Weirdly enough, once Estella latched and she looked up at me, smiled, then touched my face...everything else faded away. The sounds of the city...the cars driving by...the clicks of the camera...the sight of people walking by and glancing over...all of that didn’t matter anymore. Estella was getting what she needed...deserved...and my inhibitions and fears faded with every gulp she took. This is the true experience we have every time she nurses, but this day out in the open in a busy big city, we still were able to have that same intimacy. It was me and her...

Danielle from thebump (left) and Marti owner of UrbaBaby (right)
When we went back into UrbaBaby, I had the chance to briefly talk to Danielle about the overall purpose of this event. She explained that thebump.com started this day...quite the revolution actually...to encourage and empower women to be proud and nurse in public with hopes to change the stigma against women and public breastfeeding. I subscribed to the website so I always get great emails with encouraging stories, comic relief, breastfeeding-related news and tips, and invitations to great events like this one. Be sure to check out the website for everything you need to help you once you start the journey of parenthood- thebump.

UrbaBaby boutique
I also met the owner of the fabulous urban baby boutique, UrbaBaby, with locations in Lincoln Park and Wicker Park. She’s an entrepreneur who opened the store after having her own kids and wanted a place for modern moms to have access to the best of the best from teething necklaces, all the new renovated feeding supplies, extremely cute and fashionable baby clothes etc to offering free classes to local moms. Be sure to visit her store to find anything you need plus check out the events that are held at her store frequently!

Not only did I get to meet two amazing and strong women who share and have joined in the breastfeeding journey, but also I got to share this experience with my daughter AND cousins.

Estella inspires me to reach out and inspire others in the things that I am so passionate about. One day, I hope she can look back at this and be proud!

I can tell you this, the nursing cover isn’t always going to be pulled out from now on. It’s great to just whip it out, feed my hungry baby, and call it a day! 

Did you participate in PDB day? Comment and let me know where and how your experience was. I would love to hear about your day!



My cousin, Amanda, was eating snacks on the street and
Estella also was eating...both so acceptable. haha


If you’re new to my blog, please check out the following links to catch up on my breastfeeding awareness project!






Stay tuned for another bold and brave mama that I will feature! If you would like to join in the revolution of my “breastfeeding bucketlist”, comment below with your email and I will contact you.

:)

7 comments:

  1. What an inspirational blog post about breastfeeding, it made me teary in a good way. It brought back memories of nursing my two boys and I am so proud that you enjoyed your experience. Your a super mom and role model. Breastfeeding is a wonderful bonding experience and we are so glad you and your beautiful baby girl will have this memory forever. Thanks for joining us!

    -Marti G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words Marti! It was a pleasure to meet you and hear your inspirational story as well....opening a brand new store with a toddler and a 3 week old, I would say YOU are the super mom :) Thank you for allowing me to be a part of such an amazing event.

      Delete
  2. Totally got teary eyed! You go Mama! Such an inspiration to all bf mothers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you Eiffel! I know your story with your beautiful baby girl will also touch others. I hope you join my project! :)

      Delete
  3. You've inspired me to keep going with breastfeeding. And I still am! :) In public with a cover . I believe a support team pushes me to keep on breastfeeding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly- I am extremely proud of you and where you have come! And you're still breastfeeding! So amazing. Great job and Scarlett will thank you for it!!

      Delete
  4. Great post! I hope it is in the same place next year because I can totally meet you there with baby Frego in tow!(Hey, you can park on my street and we can hop on the El together two stops to get there.) Future Breastfeeding mamas like myself applaud you for the steps you have taken! That day, I just made a promise on the Bump that I will breastfeed when baby arrives! Great Job Miravone!!

    ReplyDelete