Monday, August 26, 2013

a LOVING mama...


Natalia's 1st birthday
Before becoming a mom, I started this blog and documented the journey of my pregnancy and opened myself up to everyone. After blogging through my tough post-partum period, an outpouring of even more LOVE was apparent from all my readers!

The next mom I am featuring is one of those awesome mamas that reached out to me. She encouraged me with her story of post partum and her birth story including the fact that she is nursing her toddler and shares the same faith.

Agnieszka has such a big heart, has the same passion for alternative medicine as I do, and is so in love with her daughter...and it shows. We recently had a playdate and her daughter has the sweetest personality. She is independent, loving, bilingual, and so healthy. It is encouraging to know that the way that Agnieszka and Cole “parent” has not only benefited them, but shows so much in how their daughter, Natalia, interacts with people and especially how she eats! The girl loves her fruits and veggies! It’s great to see another mom who is just as crazy about her daughter as I am...and going the extra mile to make sure that she gets the best.

Above all that, she also went to work full time, pumps to keep up her milk supply, and STILL has time to give Natalia what she needs with nursing AND healthy whole foods. The phrase “NO EXCUSES” can be exemplified by her completely!

Here is her story...

1st Christmas
“My daughter’s name is Natalia, she is 20 months, and we still BREASTFEED! We have been very blessed and have not had any issues breast-feeding, besides some decrease in supply that was remedied with fenugreek.  However, besides for the huge benefits and bonding that BF brings it also helps with my healing.

Prior to birth we had a miscarriage and then almost lost Natalia at 26 weeks and then almost lost her at a failed attempt at a home water birth in Europe. My dream and huge passion of home births had ended up after 30 hours of labor, in the hospital with a c-section. Till this day I am saddened by this deeply! I feel like a failure for having a c-section. During my pregnancy I had dreamed of what my water birth would be like and grabbing my baby out of the water and bringing her to my breast, having my hubby right there. Thankfully after my c-section she latched on right away and nursed like a champ and still does till this day!

At Starved Rock in a baby sling
People make comments and try giving advice on weaning etc but I just smile and nod. My nursing bond with Natalia is the most amazing emotional connection and  this is what helps me heal on a daily basis. We all have healing in one area or another but in honor of all mothers whom BF I would encourage you to keep at it and stay strong! You will get through it! BF is such a selfless act and the greatest gift to your baby! Also if you have pumped a surplus then I would encourage donating that. There are so many mothers who can't BF for one reason or another so bless them and their children! (Great point!)

I just wanted to add an encouraging part about going back to work and pumping and having the mindset that its really important for your baby...this is what God created as free food for survival!! Also when your baby gets older a lot of people raise those eyebrows when they see you nursing a toddler or like to give unsolicited weaning advice..”if you don't wean them then they will never wean themselves...” or my favorite storyà “breast feeding past two will affect the toddlers brain development!!” (Yea ok!! maybe in a really positive way!) Or that “nursing your baby will create a screwed up attached child... “

And then I look at my 100% healthy independent baby girl and I smile at her as I nurse! In the beginning it's tough but then you realize it's what's best for your baby and there's really no other healthier solution!

Agnieszka’s Bucket List
(all success stories)

Church fellowship hall.
In front of my entire family without a cover I just gave up on the cover idea.
Airport Walking onto two overseas airplanes and also on the airplanes.
Park.
On walks in the neighborhood and in big downtown areas.
Zoo.
Pool.
Restaurants.
Funeral.
Hiking at starved rock while wearing a baby sling.
Doctor’s office in front of the doctor, twice!
Waiting rooms.

The most recent family picture.
A lot of times I'm somewhat covered up by a 20 month old baby, but otherwise I just gave up the cover idea when she started moving it out of the way... Plus you realize that people will always stare and give you dirty looks regardless. With our next baby I'm going to be way more deliberate about breast feeding in public and taking pictures like Miravone did...Next time!!”

Agnieszka brings up a great point about breast milk donations...sometimes it is the next best thing and formula doesn’t always have to be an option.

Our pediatrician, Dr. Paul Schattauer, has a donation bank set up in his clinic. See his website for more information --> Breast Milk Donation

Thank you for sharing your story Agnieszka! You are an inspiration mama!

0 comments:

Post a Comment