Saturday, August 3, 2013

Typical location for pumping: Creepy parking garage....haha! ;)




August 3rd 2013- Chicago, IL
The first outlet we found that didn't work...
I had a very busy day yesterday filled with packing, errands, and hanging out in the city with my best friends for the BACKSTREET BOYS concert.

Yes. I am THAT girl. I loved them when I was a teen and I still have LOVE for them! They were so AWESOME by the way...my love has been rekindled...I lost my voice from all the sceaming/singing we did...and I plan to buy their new album soon!

CREEEEEEPY!!
Anyhow-I am still typing up my BREASTFEEDING BUCKET LISTto share with you but today; I wanted to share the most unconventional place I had to find to pump since I was away from Estella for an extended period of time.

Some of you are probably thinking I could have just waited it out to get home, but after 2 excruciating experiences with multiple plugged ducts that almost led to mastitis, I packed up my pump along with my purse to head out to Chicago.

I thought I was so prepared. I even packed up a small cooler to store the milk and everything. Then as I was about to pump in the car on the way to the concert, I realized the biggest mistake of them all.

I forgot to grab batteries for the battery pack option of the pump. UGH dummy! I’m so use to having access to an outlet, that I didn’t even consider batteries. Then 5 seconds later after realizing the dread of it, my boobs reminded me. I had letdown and they were starting to feel “hard”. My heart dropped. Oh no....should I just rough it out and risk getting plugged ducts or just carry my sexy (not sexy...haha) pump backpack around while looking for outlets?!!
Yup...it's happening....

Well after parking in the parking garage, we got lost trying to get out.. but it actually worked out for us. We found an outlet and yes it was out in the open, but I didn’t care. My friends shielded me and I had my boob out and everything...and yes people walked by.....then oh no. The outlet didn’t work. GREEAAATT....

Our search continued. We found another outlet but it was in the creepiest corner of the parking garage ever. The perfect corner for a drug deal or murder or something!! But the outlet WORKED! The sweet sound of the pump made us all jump up and down and squeal!

My proud stash of liquid GOLD!
Darlene proceeded to put the backpack on so that I could pump (hilarious) and bam bam bam..10 minutes later, and I pumped about 8 ounces. I am a milk machine. Serious. My letdown is no joke and Estella still gets sprayed in the face sometime...sorry TMI! So I really could have pumped more but 1. I didn’t want to have to change pump bags etc since we weren’t in a very sterile environment and 2.  I wanted to get to the concert!

People walked by and probably just thought we were dealing or doing drugs because we were huddled and giggling the whole time! My friends were amazing and so supportive. The whole time they reminded me of how good of a mom I am while standing in awe that something was coming out of my boobs at the same time. They don’t have kids of their own yet (Maria has a step-daughter) but haven’t had the experience of breastfeeding, however I feel that I was able to inspire them...show them the power of our bodies...the beauty of being able to provide nourishment to another human being..and lastly, I hope I was able to show them how normal it all really can be...even in the weirdest and most inconvenient circumstances.

I love them!!
I had a goal. The concert wasn’t the only goal in my horizon that day. My goal was to still be able to provide to my daughter and take care of my body at the same time. Enjoying the concert with the three best friends a girl could ask for, was the cherry on top of such a fabulous day!

:)


0 comments:

Post a Comment