Sunday, August 25, 2013

mama doctors!


Today I am featuring a couple of mama doctors- colleagues from our grad school. It seems that as soon as we all became moms, our connection grew beyond our educational background.

Now that breastfeeding is getting more support and acceptance (although it is still a struggle), there was a time when breastfeeding was not the best option and doctors actually told mothers that formula was the better choice. So if there wasn’t support, many moms in the 70’s and early 80’s felt obligated to give formula without even trying to breastfeed because they assumed they were doing the best for their baby. Imagine going through that!

Emilee was fortunate (like myself too) to have a group of breastfeeding women that supported her and her goal was that breastfeeding was the only option. This is what we need more of for moms out there that have a desire to breastfeed!

Here is Emilee’s story...
 
Our little joy Liam came as a surprise. We were not actively trying to get pregnant at all and I had just come to terms with the idea of even having kids in the future. I had always been school and career focused, having a baby was not in my plans. But it definitely was in God's.

I knew I would breastfeed, I didn’t; however, know how much I'd love it. Thankfully I come from a family of breastfeeders. My mom, aunts, and all my cousins have done it. All mothers know from the second your babe is born, there is an immense love you never knew. I couldn't stand the thought of life before him.

At first I was so exhausted physically and emotionally and the LC I had at the time wasn't extremely helpful but we got him to latch, although not very well at all. I remember going to sleep that first night praying that I'd have no issues. I called for the LC around 2 am and I had a different one! Her name was Kayla and she rocked! She suggested we use a nipple shield to help the process and it worked (he self weaned from it around 2 months)! I was instantly in love with breastfeeding! And from that moment on, I didn't care if anyone saw me feed my baby. The next day when all of our friends and family were surrounding us for the first time, I just whipped out the boob!

What a beautiful picture :)
Even now 6.5 months later, I love it just as much as I did the first day. It's so amazing to produce food for him and the fact that it changes to fit his needs blows me away. It calms me after a long day, it brings me peace, and I love staring at him in awe and delight. He is my world. I thought it might be hard since I just started back to work but I am blessed to be in a health field that promotes what nature intended. I am also beyond blessed to have a hubby that thinks it is great and encouraged me to do it wherever as well (he's pretty awesome)!

Here is my breastfeeding bucket list:
(*Success!)

1. At the beach*
2. Camping*
3. Car-front seat/back seat*
4. Work (while I was shadowing, I was able to bring him in)*
5. The Park*
6. Colts or Pacers game (HOPE TO)!!!!
7. In front of anyone who has been a guest at our house*
8. Numerous cookouts and restaurants*
9. Wedding
10. Airplane
11. On a boat

I suppose the list could go on forever....”

The second mom I am featuring is an inspiration because not only is she an avid marathon runner (which is not my thing!), but she is also nursing a toddler! Frequently people ask me, “You’re STILL nursing Estella?! How long do you plan to nurse her?” And my answer is always, “Whenever she doesn’t want it anymore...”

Well knowing that there are multiple moms still nursing their toddlers, encourages me to stick it through for my own sake and for Estella’s. Not only is she still breastfeeding her toddler, she also went back to work earlier than most maternity leave timeframes of 6 weeks, and instead of just giving up then, she committed to pumping while at work. That is extremely hard work! Go Jessica!

Here is Jessica’s story...

“Christmas Day 2010 I woke up feeling sick an something told me to take a pregnancy test.  I did and surprise it was positive.  

What a multi-tasker! haha!
From that moment I knew I wanted to breastfeed my baby but I did not know anyone who had done it before.  I have twin sisters who were born at 27 weeks so my mother never had the chance and then my sister have 5 kids between them and didn't breastfeed any of them.  I began researching and reading as much as I could.

Luckily for me the nurse on call when I went into labor had just returned from having her first baby and the labor floor was pretty quite that day so we were able to talk. She shared her story of struggles with breastfeeding and too me everything would be ok.  When he was born they placed him on my chest and he instantly began rooting around.  The next few days were very exhausting.  He began getting jaundice so on the second day the lactation consultant came in and I began pumping.  I would feed with one breast and pump the other at every feeding and alternate between the two. This also helped to start building my stash of milk for when I went back to work. I was only getting 2 weeks off.  The next year flew by.  

I would breastfeed when I was home and pump while working. It was time consuming but I knew it was best for Beckett.  I would pump in the car on the way to work, at lunch, on my way home and then after he fell asleep to keep up with the supple while he was at daycare.  When he turned one I was so happy we had made it a whole year with no formula.  At the time I began cutting back to just morning, night, and feedings on my day off. At 14 months he got rid of the day feedings and at 18 months he got rid if his morning feedings.  We are still breastfeeding at night before bed and he will be 2 years old on August 29.  I will miss our cuddle time before bed while we watch Mickey Mouse and get ready for bed...




Jessica’s bucketlist of places that they experienced together!

Plane ( great he sleeps the whole plane  ride)
Cruise ship ( we went on cruise with family when he was 7 months)
Different country ( we have been to Canada, Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas)
Different time zone
Airport
Mall
Navy Pier
Car
Brookfield zoo
Checkout lane (this happened at target)
Restaurant
Farmers market
Wagon ride
Buckingham fountain
Grant park
Rest area

Thank you for both of your stories and I love that every breastfeeding journey is so different and yet we all connect someway and somehow. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment