Tuesday, August 20, 2013

a mama of faith...

Before I introduce our next mama, I wanted to say HAPPY 11 months to our beautiful Estella! We are in full party planning mode and can’t believe a year has flown by...stay tuned for a blog next month featuring her totally awesome party! ;)

So I’ve known our next mama since high school! We actually reconnected when we bumped into each other at a restaurant. Estella was a couple months old and she was pregnant! The first thing I remember telling her was “BREASTFEEDING IS HARD BUT YOU CAN DO IT! Get the proper support and don’t give up!”

When her baby was born, I wanted to extend any support I could just to encourage her because I know Estella & I had a whirlwind of a journey..and well obviously I am very passionate about breastfeeding. Anabel has such a sweet personality, very open, and always so positive. I knew that she would do anything and everything to give her beautiful baby the world. So she was completely open to having Estella & I come over and assist in her breastfeeding as well as help give support in other areas too. It was my pleasure to providing her with any knowledge I had from my background plus my breastfeeding experience. Not only do we have this experience together and can connect in that way, we also share the same faith! It’s a beautiful thing!

Here is her story-

“In a perfect world, I would have only gained 30 pounds, had a natural birth, and Kyrie would have latched on right away.  I believe God allows us to have imperfections in order to appreciate our lives and those around us.  As a determined first time mommy, I wanted to breastfeed my son no matter what, I asked for skin-to-skin contact right away, well as soon as possible since that's what was recommended by all the books that I had read.  I had been scheduled to go in for a c-section, which was not my plan.  I went in to c-section with mixed emotions.  I was sad and ashamed that I would not be able to deliver my son the "natural way" but so excited to see him and hold him and let him know how much I love him, as if he didn't already know.

Once we were back in the room, it was time to feed him for the first time, I had a hard time getting him to latch on, the nurses would try to position him and various ways, hold his head, squeeze my breasts.  I think I received several mammograms to last me until I am 40 :)  I have always been very conservative and private when it comes to my body.  Well, that sure goes out the door when you have a baby!  I was given the shield to put on my breast but after 3 days the lactation consultant realized it was too big and may be a reason he wasn't latching properly with the shield.  Once I had the right one on, it was easier for him to latch, however I was informed that if I didn't get him to latch on without the shield he would get use to it and it would be harder for me. (Great advise for a first time mom :))  
Once we were home, postpartum got the best of me, However, God never left me, He gave me patience and perseverance to see this through as well as a great support system.  I leaned on my husband to give me strength and the wisdom of my mother to help me through the nuances.  I am also very grateful for a friend sent from above, Miravone.  She gave be the extra energy to continue with my ultimate goal of breastfeeding my son.  She shared her story with me, which gave me hope that I would one day be able to feed and nourish my son without using the shield.  I am very thankful for all that I went through and I know this journey is not over, but I am blessed to have the drive and the desire to not give up on myself or my son.  

I am an imperfect person in an imperfect world who supports any mother that decides to breastfeed!  

My son is now four months old.  The pictures I share are during our vacation to Michigan.  We decided to visit the University of Michigan and well Kyrie wanted to leave his mark.  I sat on a bench and breastfed with a cover (still too shy to feed without a cover).  Many heads were turned but I was proud to be able to do this and proud of my husband for being so open to taking the picture. 

The second picture was at the mall in Michigan.  I went to H&M and during our shopping venture Kyrie was getting fussy.  We were in line to pay, so I leaned over to the counter and let the cashier know that my husband (who I pointed at) had my card, I was going to go out into the mall to nurse my son.  Well she gave me a smirk and then proceeded to talk about me as I was walking away.  My husband hear her statement "Oh yeah, now women can breastfeed anywhere they want, because it's a law.  I can't believe that.  I once had a lady just pop her boob out in the middle of the store.  Really!  I am really come on".  As my husband shared this with me while I was feeding my son, I felt like going back in there and giving them a piece of my mind. 

However, I chose the more calmer side of me and took a picture instead.  

Both of these pictures are very risky for me, I remember the first couple times I had to feed him and we weren't home.  I would go into the restroom and sit on the floor with my knees crossed and feed him.  How nasty was that!  I will NEVER do such a thing ever again.  My son has the right to eat just like everyone has the right to breathe. 

Just today I was at the bank and he was hungry, while I was waiting for the representative to finish opening the account she asked do you have a bottle to give him?  I said to her "as a matter of fact I don't, I have something better, and I pulled my cover and proceeded to feed him" that felt so liberating, to know that I didn't have to cater to others needs but that of my son’s.

Anabel’s Bucketlist
(all success stories!)

On the train
In front of my in-laws (with cover)
At a university of Cincinnati football game
At the beach ( heck my minor cleavage peek is nothing compared to what some bikinis show)
Fed him while he was on his carrier while shopping.  (That was so awesome. I think some people thought I was shop lifting though because I had the cover on.)"

Thank you for featuring me in your story and I am so happy that you fought through your challenges! What an amazing journey you’ve had and kudos to you! Can’t wait to get our babies together soon!

1 comment:

  1. This story is the one has resonated with me the most! Especially when she said that she had to nurse in the bathroom....I got teary! Partly because I'm pregnant and hormonal, but also because I felt exactly the same. 90% of the time there wouldn't be a nursing room. And I was reduced to sitting in a bathroom stall....he'd be scared of the noise and I'd be scared of the conditions. But what could I do? For baby #2 I will use a nursing cover and if I forget, I may just bust it out in the open because I will never put my child in that position again.
    Thanks for sharing this story:)

    ReplyDelete