![]() |
| Sampson |
I'm allergic. I'm much more of a 'dog' person. I'm allergic. I'm allergic. This may not work...
So how would you feel if you fell in love with me and had to give up your cat?
(haha) Yes. that was serious question I asked after the first date.
Well you guys know already. I think ahead...I'm not playin'! He just chuckled then saw my face...Oh you're serious?! (oops...maybe it was too soon?! haha)
Well...I love Sampson...he's helped me get through moving to Illinois...he was like my only friend for a while. yes...this was his response...so of course I felt like a jerk. I guess I was half serious and half joking?! hmph. But if it really interferes with a relationship in general, then he can always go live with my parents in Michigan. Yeah guys...I'm a BIG jerk. I asked a guy before he was even in love with me if he would basically get rid of his best friend.
Well OBVIOUSLY that didn't happen! Mr. Scoobs as we call him, has changed my view on cats. Everything I already thought- selfish, HYPERallergenic, annoying- well that still all is very true. I'm not use to living on anyone's terms in general especially not an animal...but seeing Ryan's love for animals in general made me yearn to have that same respect & love for them.
I didn't really grow up with animals...it was kind of like they were separate from us. Our dogs (plural) lived outside & we never really interacted with them in the way that I interact with my fur babies now. I feel horrible thinking of how we treated the animals that blessed our lives in the past...Ryan has changed that view point for me for sure.
So for anyone that has cats. Well you know that well...more than dogs, everything is on their terms. If they come and lay with you, you have to appreciate the time you have with them...trying to change their position or make yourself more comfortable in their expense may cause them to give you a dirty look and walk away. Snuggle time is not really your choice.
![]() |
| He's lost a lot of weight since this picture. He's our skinny boy now. |
When Sampson is hungry...well he will let you know..and his screaming won't stop until you fill his belly. May be why he was quite overweight when I first met him..Ryan is a softy and always left food out for him. We've (since then) have restricted his diet and he's gotten slim but still a big boy nonetheless.
Overall, I see the love that Sampson & Ryan have for each other. They have a special connection that warms my heart. It's as if Ryan could speak and hear what Sampson is saying...a bit of a Dr. Dolittle. Every meow Ryan understands.
He's like an animal whisperer.
Sampson and I (oddly enough) like to fight each other for status. He's the alpha male of the house...Delilah & Oliver both understand their place rightfully under him. I'm crazy I know, but me and a cat like to battle. If he screams to go outside just because he wants to, I look at him and pretend I didn't hear him. If he cries for food even after we JUST fed him, I look at him and say NO...it doesn't matter to him, he still screams. We go back and forth.
I've learned quickly...and slowly....that it's not about me. Just like everything else isn't about me. yay. His nature is sweet, loving, and protective and I have to let him embrace that...even among all his annoying tendencies.
It's been a learning process for both Sampson & I. To deal with each other. But he's right.
He's the alpha. I just feed him. ;)



I'm a total cat person. I love dogs too, but I've just always had a better understanding with our cats. And they always seem to want to cuddle at the perfect moments.
ReplyDeleteI think I'm definitely still more of a dog person but I love my cats. :D
Delete