My English Skills.
You must give me some credit though. I learned English (in school...so the RIGHT WAY hehe) then went home and spoke less English and all LAO!
By the time I was in 2nd grade, my reading level was that of a high schooler so BAM! But the thing that was...and still is hard for me to catch on to is SLANG!
Not like HOOD (haha) slang but more like complicated ways to say SIMPLE THINGS or in other words...
IDIOMS!
Defined as "natural manner of speaking to a native speaker of a language!"
Example.
One day I was speaking with Ryan passionately about something. I was so angry about something that occurred that day...I started talking faster (which isn't good when you're not great at English period)...and then said "STOP WALKING AROUND THE BUSH!"
He then looked at me. Held in a laugh because he knew I was venting to him about something. But then couldn't help it and said "Ummm...babe...what does walking around the bush mean? You mean 'beat around the bush'? We then started laughing. Then I realized and said "Wait..why the heck do you people want to beat a freakin' bush." He had nothing to say. haha
At school, I started to tell my colleagues about it and they just laughed at me and started to teach me a couple "common" idioms and laughed as I questioned them. The most common response from me was "Um...why can't you just say what you feel?!" I also spoke with my in-laws and they just laughed at me too! haha It has been a discussion in a quite a few conversations.
Some examples:
"Don't beat a dead horse." (me: What the heck? Why would you beat a horse period..and why a horse?!)
"Let sleeping dogs lie." (me: Can't you just say 'Don't bother!?')
"Can't cry over spilt milk." (me: Really? Milk? Who the heck cries over that? Weirdos.)
You want more? Click here!
There are other ones that I don't remember..because well I try not to use since every time I use one, I get laughed at! haha I get to use the excuse that I'm technically FOB! :)
Well last night while writing my last post, I had Ryan proof-read it. When he got to "make ends meet", he said "Um babe...you got that idiom wrong. Isn't it 'ends meat'?" I questioned myself for one second and said "What the heck does 'ends meat' mean?" He said "You know..you're struggling financially that you can only buy the ends meat..the bad parts?" I started laughing so hard. He just had a FOB moment!!
I already told him I was going to embarrass him in my blog :)
I had a whirlwind of a day...actually week to be specific. Thank you for all your love and support on this journey. It has been helpful thus far to redirect my heart to where it should be. You are all loved!
Sneak peek recipe for tomorrow:
| Baked pear with honey & herb goat cheese salad |
*If you comment on my blogs and would like notification of my replies to you, make sure to check the box that you want the notification! If you do not have a blogger account, it may not automatically send you an email!
*Please send me any requests for recipes that you've had from me or seen! I will try to make sure to fulfill all your hopes & dreams! :D
Take care everyone! Be blessed. <3 md

0 comments:
Post a Comment