Monday, January 30, 2012

Oliver (twist)



It was like love at first sight. Ryan and I like to go to local pet stores on random off days to play with the puppies...since we know a lot of them just get stuck in their cage all day everyday. We've done it more than a dozen times & have not once purchased an animal. Well this day was different. 

We went a pet store near our home and did the routine thing...looked through at each dog, gawked at how cute all of them were, and chose one to play with. We chose a St Bernard! I've always wanted a big dog and St Bernards are adorable BIG puppies. She was a crazy feisty one that cost nearly $2,000. We played with her for 15 minutes then proceeded to tour around the store looking at all the other animals from reptiles, kittens, and even a huge aquarium with fresh and salt water fish.

Then I saw him. Being dragged across the room by a girl who I judged to be the typical "purse dog" kinda girl. (Excuse my stereotype...) Designer LV handbag, caribou coffee in hand, lots of makeup, fur vest, and 6 inch heels...while being strikingly beautiful with the most annoying Valley Girl voice. She wanted to buy him because he was cute but probably mainly because he was a "discount puppy". He was only $200 compared to all the prissy dogs that were anywhere from $1,500 and up! She decided to buy him but he wasn't moving.

The day we brought him home :)
She kept dragging him across the laminate floor while he stood his ground and wouldn't move any of his extremities. I heard him start to whimper and shake ferociously as she began to get impatient. Then I did what I had to do...I had to save him. 

If she doesn't end up taking him, we will! As I whispered into one of the employees there all behind Ryan's back. The employees at this store really do care deeply for each animal and actually spend time with each one taking them on walks...very atypical of most pet stores I've been to. So they observed how mistreated he already was due to the enticing price tag.

He got acquainted with Delilah.
Why don't we find a dog more suitable for you? This one just doesn't seem like it fits you. I overheard one of the employees say this to the Valley Girl. She agreed immediately and stammered out of the store upset. The employee then proceeded to bring us our dog. Ryan's eyes got big...like real big. He wasn't too happy with me at the moment...mainly because he is such a softy when it comes to animals especially abused ones.

As soon as Ryan took him into his arms, he stopped shaking after about 2 minutes and started wagging his tail (or what's left of it), and started sticking out his tongue. Wow! We've never ever seen him like this with anyone! He's been here for a while and we discounted him so that people would take some interest in him but we've found that no owner has been suitable enough for him yet! We've even named him "Shakey" because that's all he does! 


I knew Ryan fell in love...even though he was attempting to give me dirty looks that he was upset at me. I knew it. He fell in love with him as quickly as I did. Let's name him, Oliver. Like the orphan from the musical!  Babe- this is your fault if this turns out to be a HUGE mistake. You better help me take care of him too!! Yes babe....(he was just trying to be Mr. Tough Guy)

So we did it. We bought him...on the spot. My next thought- Oh gosh our parents are not going to be too happy with us! We already have two cats, can barely pay the bills now, and we're adding a dog! Oh well! They fell in love instantly after meeting him.

He came home with us that night and it was a rough start. He was very timid, didn't trust us at all, and had a huge huge huge poopy accident the next morning...that Ryan cleaned up! Oops! But the thing that helped us the most was our awesome cats. We started to theorize that he must of been previously abused by humans (since he probably came out of a puppy mill) but he never lost trust in animals...he actually trusts any animal a little too much!

One of our many cuddling nights.
Notice that I attempted to study on the couch....
while laying down. (big fail!)
Our cats put him through the ringer. Sampson taught him quickly who the alpha male of the house was & Delilah tried to mess with him but ended up letting him chase her around a lot. Within 2 months time, it was like he was a brand new dog. The most loving, sweet, and gentle dog that I've ever met! And extremely smart!

Ryan taught him a bunch of tricks within days! He even taught him how to bark! yes people, when I said Ryan was Dr. DoLittle, I wasn't joking! Oliver did not have a voice at all when we brought him home, but Ryan taught him how to bark by utilizing Molly (my mother-in-law's dog) and bacon pieces! It was amazing and has stuck ever since!


Oliver and Xander :)
My mom, who does not like any animal in her house whatsoever because she's a clean freak, LOVES Oliver...and if we laid a price down, she would take him in a heartbeat. He has been the best first pet to introduce to our nephew Xander ever since he was born! And I can say with confidence that there is NOT one person that he's met, that's had any negative feelings about him. I know people brag about their pets and kids all the time, but you just have to meet him to understand, I guess! :)

I know you're not suppose to pick favorites out of your kids but...since these are fur babies, I am making an exception.

Oliver has brought a brand new dynamic to our marriage...to our lives...and to our family lives. Um....you're coming this weekend..and you're bringing Oliver right?! My family is more excited to see Oliver than us! haha!

And Ryan has said many many many times that he could not imagine our lives without Oliver. They are BFF! (Sometimes I think he rather hang out with Oliver than me! haha) Yes babe...you were right... (obviously in regards to my idea of getting Oliver!)

I am excited to see how he responds when we decide to add another fur baby (yes, we are crazy but we want a big dog one day!). 


I hope that our stories of our babies will encourage you to open your heart a little to what pets can do. Yes I am still allergic to cats...I have to vacuum all the time & constantly keep hair off of my clothes. Yes Oliver had accidents once in a while and we had to have patience during his growing pains. 


But I would never trade any of it for anything in the world. They have been there for me when they know I've had a bad day & their love is truly unconditional!


Be blessed. Bless your home, kids, family, heart with the love a pet can give you! It's priceless. <3 md

2 comments:

  1. So sweet. I love it. I feel the same way about our furry kids.
    Merrit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I know! you guys are soo sweet to your babies too! miss you guys & hope all is well!!

      Delete