Tuesday, January 3, 2012

meet the cutest yet feistiest (little) asian woman I know...

Meet my grandma. 
I call her "Mae Thoo" :)

The anchor in our family. The best cook I know...seriously. The biggest heart for her family and especially for God.

I grew up living with my mom, brothers, and grandparents. We were all one happy family in one house! My mom worked hard everyday..sometimes 2-3 jobs trying to make ends meet. My grandparents took care of us before and after school until my mom got home. 

My breakfast in the morning was something..well Laos! Usually rice and an egg or rice with some type of meat. Then lunch, my grandma packed my lunch with usually homemade beef jerky (like HOMEMADE..they use to dry their marinated beef out in the sun in DIY "cages" that my grandpa built!...very Laos!), some sticky rice, and a "jaeow"--> best translation would be "salsa"? 

Imagine this little asian girl among every other ethnicity...opening up her lunch and WHEW! The smell of amazing warm jerky or fish filled the room as these jealous little kids said "EWWW" while they ate their super processed mush that they called...spaghetti? or vegetables? PAH LEEEZ. I had it GOOD. But to be honest, I was so embarrassed. I would speak English at school..go home to a house that smelled of the aroma of freshly made food just sitting on the table waiting for me and then spoke ALL Laos. It was a hard transition to make. But now I am forever grateful. 

From homemade beef jerky to freshly shredded coconut to freshly caught fish on our weekly fishing expeditions...
I ATE GOOD growing up. 

Being exposed to exotic foods at such an early age has helped open my heart and mind for the love of ALL food. I always say...I will try anything once...even if it looks or smells bad :) 

So as you might have read from my previous post, my grandma is why...well I am such an awesome cook (haha). She really taught me to have a deep appreciation for all food..while appreciating the traditions that is deep rooted in our culture! Through her food, she showed us how much she loves us each and everyday. It was the best way for her to express it...and now it is the best way I express it. 

Coming home late everyday and managing to cook an entire, balanced, and healthy meal (with Laotian influences) isn't a chore to me...but more of a privilege. People think I am crazy or ambitious...but it's just how my grandmama taught me how to be! :)
At my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary in 2008 :)
You will get to meet my hilarious grandpa in future post! 


One of the proudest moments of my life thus far: 
Gathering up the courage to actually cook a Laos dish FOR my grandma. Not just any dish...but a traditional Laos dish! I was TERRIFIED. But then she tasted my food. Watched me cook and maneuver nervously around the kitchen and said these simple words (in Laos) "Now I know you are MY grand-daughter." My eyes started to well up and I just smiled as she displayed a proud look across her face :) 

So you're asking..well umm...what did you cook for her? Well the best thing I can...CURRY! 

Laotian cuisine is very similar to Thai and Vietnamese food (taking the best of both and putting them into one of course!). It has coconut milk, curries, spices, vegetables, herbs, soups, meat, and tons of rice! It's just pretty much AMAZING. Well here is my recipe for a Laotian Spicy Curry Noodle Dish called "Kow Poon". This dish can be prepared actually various ways depending on the region of Laos that you came from. My grandma always made it with curry, coconut milk, fish, and added potatoes which is more uncommon. So mine is...exactly the same as hers! :) 

*Note: For all you Laos people reading this...this is MY version. I know it is traditionally made with fish rather than chicken but so what! :D 


Ingredients: 
Chinese Vermicelli Rice Noodles
1 white large white onion (chopped)
6-7 cloves of garlic (chopped) 
2 tbsp chopped fresh ginger root
2 stalks of chopped lemon grass
4-5 small Thai peppers (optional) 
2 cups of shredded bamboo shoots
5 red potatoes chopped  
2 cups of medium sliced eggplant 
8-10 cups of Chicken Stock (homemade preferably!) 
2 cans of coconut milk 
~1/4 cup Fish Sauce
1 lb of ground chicken
1 lb skinless chicken breast on bone
2 Bay leaves 
2 cans of "Mae Ploy" Curry Paste
Salt
                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Set aside the following for garnish:

1/4 head of shredded/chopped cabbage
1-2 cups of chopped buk choy
1 cup of green onion 
1 cup of cilantro
Dried chili paste or flakes
Lime wedges 



Here's what you do:


1) Boil the noodles in water for about 15-20 minutes. Just like pasta, taste the noodles and they should not be super chewy or hard. When they are done, rinse them and set them aside in small coils to keep them organized. 

2) Saute the onions, garlic, lemongrass, ginger, and thai betters in a large pot with a pinch of salt and olive oil for about 5 minutes then add 1 can of curry paste and stir. The aroma will be amazing! 

3) Add ground chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Make sure the chicken doesn't clump up into little meatballs! Keep it ground and as mashed as possible! 

4) Then add chicken stock and fish sauce. At this point, add the chicken breast and stir. Let the soup sit at low-medium heat for about an hour with the 2 Bay Leaves and chopped red potatoes, eggplant, and bamboo.  

5) When chicken breast is cooked through, remove and shred into pieces and set aside. Discard the bone.

6) In a separate smaller pot, heat up the coconut milk with the second can of curry and add to the stock pot after chicken has cooked through. Continue to taste the soup adding fish sauce to taste! (I usually make it a little more spicy at this point too!)

7) In your bowl, add noodles and side garnishes then pour the soup over it! Squeeze a lime wedge, add some chili pepper paste or peppers, and voila! 

Finished product


Wow! that was harder than I thought. It's around 11:20p on Jan 3rd so I am cutting it close to getting this posted! 

Ok..I said I was an awesome cook..not a simple one! If you are adventurous one day and you want to try this recipe, you will not be disappointed. IT IS AM-MAY-ZEEEENG! :) 

Good night all. 

Be blessed. <3 md

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this :) How many people do you think this recipe will feed? I know Lao ppl cook for 10 even tho there's only 2 @ home. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Metta S.
    haha you're right metta! I didn't even post how many it feeds or how much time it will take! haha oops!

    I think it will feed 6 people to be safe...considering it may not only be one bowl per person;)

    ReplyDelete