![]() |
| MLK Day 2008 :) Our first date. |
I came home (to Julia) and I think freaked out a little. The PLAN: he would pick me up at 1pm, we would drive to Chicago, go to the Art Institute, go have dinner somewhere (I suggested Grand Luxe Cafe on Michigan Ave), & 'wing' it from there. That's not a typical date...right?! I don't know...cause I don't think I really have much experience with "dates". I mean...I've dated my "boyfriends" but I don't think that counts! So this date was going to be LONG...like a whole day!
Things that I discussed with Julia: "What do I say if there's an awkward silence?" "What if I run out of things to talk about? We are driving to Chicago...coming back...spending the whole day there!!" "Am I suppose to kiss him on the first date or what if I don't want to and he does?!" "Do you think I should offer to pay?" "He's white. From Michigan. Country. Do they even have asians there?!" (haha) The best one: "He's from Michigan. I've never really dated white guys...what if he just likes country music and thinks I'm a crazy asian city girl?" The list of questions go on and on. The next day, I even did a little fashion show for her while picking out the perfect dressy BUT casual outfit. For everyone that knows me well, I've been a victim of being the girl that walks in OVER DRESSED...like waaay over dressed! oh gosh.
![]() |
| I snuck a picture of him :D |
The Art Institute was perfect. I thought to myself "Well if we run out of things to talk about, we can at least comment on art!" That was not necessary...
We talked about things that are taboo to talk about on the first date. Our past relationships, why they didn't work, what we want from dating, our intentions (long term), our religious beliefs,..our morals..all mixed in with all the random small talk too. But there was nothing superficial about this date. It was special.
We got down to the nitty gritty...got REAL...because we both didn't want to waste each other's time. I've always dated "with intention" but come to realize that many people don't...and it's always just "fun & let's see where this goes". But I don't play! And I found out quickly within the first couple hours of the date, neither did he. :)
I didn't want to scare him with my paparazzi tendencies so I actually didn't take that many pictures! *gasp* yes people...I had self-control. But I am actually glad I did. Because I get to replay this memory back & vividly remember everything!
After the Art Institute, we decided to walk all the way to Grand Luxe which was about 1 mile with snow perfectly falling and the temperatures just cold enough to feel like Chicago but warm enough to be comfortable. While walking, we started to see "the print"...you know...of his sweater on the first day. It was strange because before that, I can't even recall if I've ever seen that print THAT OFTEN. We saw it on babies, guys, girls, hats, scarves, etc! It was...a sign? :)
The whole time we were walking, I kept thinking...I want to hold his hand but I don't want to be forward...I'll just..hold his arm. (ha). And I did. I pretended it was because I didn't want to fall ;) He didn't mind.
I just need to mention...he spent the whole day opening every single door there was to open. I was raised to be such an independent woman, it was actually difficult for me to let a guy...do something that nice for me & to turn off the "control mechanism" deeply rooted in me.
Dinner was perfect. At dinner, we learned even more about each other. I learned that his mom is his best friend. He learned that my mom is mine. I learned that he likes to play sports and stay active. He learned that I'm athletically challenged. I learned that his dad is basically a gourmet chef who taught him how to cook. He learned that my grandma is known for her cooking & taught me everything I know. I learned that he hasn't traveled that much & only speaks English. He learned that I've explored the U.S & world and know how to speak more than two languages. I learned that he went to Michigan State University. He learned I went to a rival Big 10 school, U of Iowa. He learned that I never sunburn. I learned that he always does. (haha) I learned that he has a younger brother who he is close to. He learned that I have THREE OLDER brothers...who are all protective of me. His eyes got big. :) Then he said..."Do you wanna go watch a movie?" :D
We went to see "P.S I love you." (hehe). During the movie, I realized...I think I could really really really like this guy. So as we were watching the movie, I kept leaning towards him...hinting maybe that I was interested? I don't know! I'm crazzzy. He didn't get it...at all. how embarrassing.
When we arrived at my apartment, my hands started to sweat & my heart started to beat fast. Is this when we kiss? Does he even want to kiss me? Is that too soon? I'm crazzzy. I get out of the car as he meets me on the other side. He gives me a hug...this is it right?!...this is when we kiss?!
"Can I kiss you on the cheek?" My heart melted and I felt my knees begin to give out. He just asked me if he could kiss me on the cheek? awww. Of course I said YES! :)
Then it went from there. Date #2 multiplies to Date #834902483 from homemade meals (yes...he can cook too!!)...introducing me to addictive good television like Grey's Anatomy while I got him addicted to really bad reality television...until one day, I knew I wanted to tell him "I love you" but didn't want to be the first one just in case he..didn't? I looked into his eyes, started to tear up because I can't believe I've fallen so hard...so fast..then heard "I LOVE YOU TOO." :) He read my mind...
Then it was time....time to meet the FAMILY....<3
to be continued...he becomes Laotian & I become...country? :)
be blessed. remember what started it all. <3 md




how did you not cry at P.S. I love you? I bawled over that movie! : )...you guys are soooooo cute together!!!!
ReplyDelete:) :) :) <3
ReplyDelete