September 20, 2012 at 4:16 a.m. The time I looked at my
phone wondering if this was actually the day. To be honest, the day before, I
would have bet money that my wife was going to go into labor that evening.
However, the prodromal labor had tricked us before. I knew this time was it but
I wasn’t in any hurry because I knew the process was going to be long. I felt
nauseous and fatigued. No way I am getting sick right now…
We were on the road by 4:30 a.m. Bags were already packed,
snacks were loaded and I just had to sneak her push gift into the luggage. The
drive was quick and easy (for me) despite erratic, yet consistent contractions.
We were admitted and escorted up to our floor just as the contractions started
up once again. This was about to get real. Regardless, I knew we were not
leaving this hospital without our little girl. Our first nurse was very
friendly. She hooked up the IV, started a Non Stress Test to monitor mom and
baby and let us know that Mimi was 4 cm dilated. Contractions still intense, consistent
and erratic. I was prepared to see my wife in pain. With our birth plan, pain
was the only option.
We were all moved to our Alternative Birth room. Of course I
hadn’t brought all the bags up when we first were admitted. I had only grabbed
the snacks to keep Mimi’s energy up. I didn’t want to carry all the bags from
room to room. So, I had to run down to the car to get the other bags. “Babe,
don’t forget the polka dot bag with the birth plan in it. And the diaper bag.
And Xander has his back pack, a cooler with his food and his clothes.” Ok, no
sweat.
I see one of our friends from our birth class in the hallway that had
given birth the day before. We are both heading down so we started chatting as
we wait for a nurse to buzz us out (someone has to let you in/out of the floor
for security purposes). I ask
about their birth and let him know how Mimi is doing. About 5 minutes pass by…
I’m playing it cool thinking “Why the hell is no one here to let us out.”
Finally, 8-10 minutes later a nurse shows up. We get down to the main floor. I was told I have to use the other entrance because the door we came in was closed until 6 a.m. We just came in that door… ok? So I had to go outside and run around to the other side of the building in which we had parked. I grabbed the 7 bags and get 50% of the way. S#$@! This is some serious weight. It’s hot. I didn’t eat. But my wife was in labor. How could I even be complaining knowing what she was going through inside. I realize once I get to the parking lot that it would have been smart to move the car. Too late now.
I pile all the bags in a wheel chair and head upstairs. “I hope you are bringing that wheel chair back down once you are done,” the guy at the reception desks yells to me in a tone trying to sound tough. I yell back,”yes, sir!” in a sarcastic tone. Thinking “you #$85, my wife is in labor and you are surrounded by wheel chairs. I’m not bringing this back down in spite of you.” I get to the room and unload the bags. “Babe, will you get my phone. I think it’s in the car?” No problem. Ok, this time I move the car to the correct side of the hospital. Back up to the room within 5 minutes. Oh, and I did bring the guy back his wheel chair.
Finally, 8-10 minutes later a nurse shows up. We get down to the main floor. I was told I have to use the other entrance because the door we came in was closed until 6 a.m. We just came in that door… ok? So I had to go outside and run around to the other side of the building in which we had parked. I grabbed the 7 bags and get 50% of the way. S#$@! This is some serious weight. It’s hot. I didn’t eat. But my wife was in labor. How could I even be complaining knowing what she was going through inside. I realize once I get to the parking lot that it would have been smart to move the car. Too late now.
I pile all the bags in a wheel chair and head upstairs. “I hope you are bringing that wheel chair back down once you are done,” the guy at the reception desks yells to me in a tone trying to sound tough. I yell back,”yes, sir!” in a sarcastic tone. Thinking “you #$85, my wife is in labor and you are surrounded by wheel chairs. I’m not bringing this back down in spite of you.” I get to the room and unload the bags. “Babe, will you get my phone. I think it’s in the car?” No problem. Ok, this time I move the car to the correct side of the hospital. Back up to the room within 5 minutes. Oh, and I did bring the guy back his wheel chair.
I get back to the room. The contractions are not decreasing
in intensity. Sucks for her. But good for the process. I want this process over
for her sake. It has been a long, somewhat miserable two weeks leading up to
this process. I start massaging her back and telling her how strong she is, how
her body was meant to do this and that I knew she could do it. None of that was
a lie. I knew it was going to be a long road. But I knew baby Estella was
coming out drug free. I never doubted my wife’s strength.
Metta shows up after us being in the room for 1.5-2 hrs
maybe? She says a prayer. Mimi gets more focused. I provide counter pressure on
her hips and it offers her significant relief. Fantastic. Finally something I
can offer to provide some relief. Every time a contraction came so did the
counter pressure on her pelvis. Even if I was getting her a drink or something
to eat… I was commanded to stop, drop and get my butt over there. Shirley gets
there. Things seem to be progressing. Mimi wants to get in the tub so Shirley
gets it prepped. “It will be about 45 minutes” Shirley says. I say “ok”
thinking “how can it takes 45 minutes to fill a tub of water.” Doesn’t matter.
It seems like her labor is progressing into transition phase. Mimi is staying
strong but the contractions are starting to wear at her. One hour later we get
in the tub… It seems to offer relief. Shirley checks and Mimi is 8 cm. Gets
back into the tub. She decided to push a little to see if any progress is made.
Nothing. Contractions are coming erratically. Metta is helping by pushing on
her left side as I push on the right. With the types of contractions and 8 cm
dilated I am positive this baby will be here within the hour. At this point it
was 9 something in the morning.
Still in the tub and still with erratic contractions. We
welcome each break with silence and sips of water. We decide to get on the bed.
She lies on her side. At this point she is getting tired, weak and discouraged.
Each time a contraction hits she looks at me to help her with the pain.
This was my breaking point (only in my head, I wasn’t about to let her know that). I couldn’t understand how her water hadn’t broke or why she had to go through this stage of labor for so long. Then, contractions stopped for 5 minutes and she fell asleep. I freeze, Metta and her mom freeze and we try not to move so she doesn’t wake up. She got a good minute of rest before the contractions started back up. I kept praying for her water to break. It was all I could do. Pit and/or an epidural was not an option.
This was my breaking point (only in my head, I wasn’t about to let her know that). I couldn’t understand how her water hadn’t broke or why she had to go through this stage of labor for so long. Then, contractions stopped for 5 minutes and she fell asleep. I freeze, Metta and her mom freeze and we try not to move so she doesn’t wake up. She got a good minute of rest before the contractions started back up. I kept praying for her water to break. It was all I could do. Pit and/or an epidural was not an option.
Mimi decides she wants to get in the shower. This ended up
being the spot in which she got the most relief. I was trying to offer the
counter pressure from outside the tub. My shoulders were on fire. She wanted
the water hotter. I go to adjust the temp. She yells “Squeeze!” (meaning her
hips… a phrase I heard at least 100 times that day). Ha. I couldn’t even adjust
the temp without her yelling at me. We do this for about 1.5 hours maybe. The floor
is soaked and I am soaked, but Mimi is doing better.
We get back in the tub. No progress. We get on the squatting stool. Nothing. We get back on the bed. Her bag is still intact. We had denied it being broken earlier but Mimi decides that it is time. I am relieved to hear it. Now, things start speeding up. She finds a comfortable position and gets the hang of pushing. Shirley and I start to see Estella’s little head. We see that head for at least 30 minutes come closer with each push. I encourage Mimi. She tells me to shut up. Kidding. You know from her blog exactly how it went down. After two hours I see that little face come out along with both of her hands. Due to this reason the bottom shoulder was guided out first. All her fluids excrete through mouth and nose. I grab her and guide her body the rest of the way out. No way to explain how slippery she was. I thought I was going to drop her.
I placed her on mom just as she starts to cry.
She is plump, perfect and alert. Then we cry.
We get back in the tub. No progress. We get on the squatting stool. Nothing. We get back on the bed. Her bag is still intact. We had denied it being broken earlier but Mimi decides that it is time. I am relieved to hear it. Now, things start speeding up. She finds a comfortable position and gets the hang of pushing. Shirley and I start to see Estella’s little head. We see that head for at least 30 minutes come closer with each push. I encourage Mimi. She tells me to shut up. Kidding. You know from her blog exactly how it went down. After two hours I see that little face come out along with both of her hands. Due to this reason the bottom shoulder was guided out first. All her fluids excrete through mouth and nose. I grab her and guide her body the rest of the way out. No way to explain how slippery she was. I thought I was going to drop her.
I placed her on mom just as she starts to cry.
She is plump, perfect and alert. Then we cry.


0 comments:
Post a Comment