Monday, October 1, 2012

Estella's 1 week update


"I <3: mama's milk and sleeping on daddy's chest; I am 7# 11oz and 21 inches"
"I helped mama pass Part II ND Boards when I was in her belly! Good luck charm!"
(Sorry they are hard to read!)
Height/Weight:
21 inches
7 pounds 11 ounces

Size:
Newborn!
           
Favorites:
Food- BREASTMILK! 
Book- I’ve read “On the night you were born” to her and she loves it J Well that’s what I think at least!
Song- She loves when I sing “Jesus loves me” to her.
Toy- My boobs. Seriously. Haha
Non-toy toy- My boobs.
Time of day- Well all she does is sleep right now so every minute of the day seems like her favorite unless she’s hungry, tired, or DIRRTY
TV show- she doesn’t get to watch any yet!
Thing to giggle at- She loves laughing and smiling in her sleep!

Firsts/Milestones/Memories:
-She already holds her head up on her own! My strong baby girl!
-BLOWOUTS are very common! And I never thought I would think they were so cute! J
-FARTS are so adult like...LOUD! At one point, we (my mom and I) thought Ryan farted but it was Estella! Haha
-First doctor’s appointment on 9/27/2012 and her first day out with mommy & daddy!                         Boy was it....interesting.
-Estella had tons of hiccups in utero which I was always worried about but she still has TONS of hiccups now after nursing! They’re cute but I bet annoying for her.
-We had our first morning (Thurs 9/27/12) alone since my mom had to go back to Rockford earlier than planned and I was SCARED. But we managed. I fit a shower in, got ready, got our bags ready, and ate lunch all before Ryan came home to go to her first doctor’s visit! Accomplished!
 -Oh and YES...MY BABY IS MY GOOD LUCK CHARM! I passed Part I ND Boards with her 8 weeks pregnant in Feb (nauseous and everything) THEN recently PASSED PART II ND BOARDS with her 8 1/2 MONTHS PREGNANT! I am still in shock but I owe it all to her!
(BTW I found out by mail 4 days after she was born! Thank goodness I passed...I think I would have had a nervous breakdown! ha!)

How can I sum up our first week in one word? CHALLENGING.


In a good way though...being a parent definitely has a huge LEARNING CURVE and I’ve only done it for a little over a week! If you’ve read my previous blogs about our labor experience, you may be able to extrapolate that I was running on pure adrenaline. I didn’t actually sleep longer than 20 minutes until Saturday night! (Which means my last night of sleep was Tuesday night!)
Not only did anxiety run through my veins about her surviving her first day, night, and week but I was just getting the hang of nursing her so often. I realized after the first two days of nursing that she had a very very shallow latch, which equaled PAIN FOR mama. My nipples felt like I rubbed the roughest piece of sand paper on them for an entire day! Then it only got worse when my milk came in on Sunday (yes...my milk came in pretty early) and the engorgement period set in. HARD ROCK BOOBS plus gaining 2 whole cup sizes overnight is not sexy....or comfortable. 
 Warm compress.. .nurse...pumped...warm compress...nurse...pumped...hot shower..massage...nursed..etc etc. You get the jist. It was a process in itself! There wasn’t enough time in the day to do anything else. By the time she was done feeding (which she cluster fed sometimes- so up to 3 hours on and off), it was already time to feed her again! *sigh* I thought about MOOing a couple times while she was nursing...cause that’s how I felt.
Breastfeeding was MORE DIFFICULT than I imagined...it wasn’t just OK STICK A BOOB IN HER FACE and that’s it. It was and still is a learning experience for the both of us. As long as I am the one feeling the pain and she is the one gaining, I can deal.

We had our first doctor’s visit for Estella and he was SUPER impressed! He said most babies commonly lose weight (around 6-8 oz) at their first week visit (she lost an ounce at the first day) but said he was SO happy Estella kept her weight!

After a rough week of unstable emotions (stupid hormones)- feeling as if I was a disappointment to Estella etc, hearing her pediatrician tell me that I’m doing a good job made me want to cry. (ok yeah just about everything makes me want to cry) But really, it made me feel a sense of relief that the week was more than worth it.

Thank goodness for my husband’s patience...cheering me on from the sidelines. He’s been great this week. Thank goodness for my mom who has been so supportive...cooking me delicious healthy Laos meals that have allowed my body to de-flame, heal, and function and for telling me I deserve to sit down and relax after what my body just experienced. Thank goodness for Xander being there to keep me smiling and laughing.

I wouldn’t trade this job for anything. After getting two doctorates, graduating with my Bachelor’s in 2.5 years, and overcoming a lot of personal obstacles- I would have to say that this is the most challenging and rewarding with only so many more blessings to be shown.

The word RECOVERY for me has happened in different ways.

Physically...I can’t believe how quickly my body has responded to healing. Yes I am still in pain here and there....bathroom visits still SUCK...maxi pads have become a necessity...Dermaplast is almost all gone...and Ibuprofen has definitely been taken BUT I am healing. I didn’t even have to use my padsicles that I made..I actually want to try them just because I’m curious! Haha And my appetite is crazy GONE..I can’t even tell when I’m hungry anymore. My mom and Ryan have to remind me to eat or force me to eat...it’s quite a difference considering I was eating anything and everything just a couple weeks ago.

Emotionally...well that is a different story. I’ve been forewarned by many moms that the first week sucks...hormones go blah and you are sleep deprived. Not a good combo. And they were right. I’ve reached out to new methods to help prevent post-partum depression and hoping that it all works itself out. Crying once a day..feeling like an utter disappointment...feeling alone or overwhelmed...well those are feelings I just can’t let transition into my life. The support I have is the most crucial and important and for that I am thankful for my family and friends.

Her daily face updates! :) I hope to keep this up! She's already changed so much! :D

Estella is healthy, happy, fed, clean, taken care of.....and well...mama is getting there.




0 comments:

Post a Comment