Wednesday, October 17, 2012

3 weeks :)



Height/Weight:
 21 ¼ inches
7 pounds 14 ounces

Size:
Newborn!
Since she’s “tall” the pajamas with little footsies don’t fit!
           
Favorites:
Food- BREASTMILK! J
Book- “On the night you were born”
Song- “Beautiful, beautiful” by Francesca Battistelli (when she cries in the car, I play this from my phone and it usually helps calm her down)
Toy- My boobs.
Non-toy toy- My boobs.
Time of day- any time as long as she’s fed, clean, and napping!
TV show- she doesn’t get to watch any yet!
Thing to giggle at- She loves laughing and smiling in her sleep! She is starting to look at us in the eyes now and sometimes she will throw us a little grinJ

Firsts/Milestones:
- Blowouts & farts are still HILARIOUS.
- Her FIRST road trip to Michigan (normally a 3.5 hour trip) and her first wedding of our beautiful friends, Matt & Emily!

-THREE-week doctor’s appointment:
Our little girl gained some ounces but still has not gained what our pediatrician (and us) was hoping. It was a bit of a downer of an appointment. Our pediatrician had me nurse her while in office and to weigh her immediately after to see how much transferred and she weighed 8 pounds meaning she took in 2 ounces! The only thing that we’re thinking could be a possibility is that my overproduction of milk is causing her to have an imbalance of foremilk and hindmilk (the fattier milk with calories). She could be getting too much foremilk, which she just poops out and causes her poops (lately) to have a green tint (mustard yellow is normal for breastfed babies). It could also be from food sensitivities so I cut out gluten and dairy recently hoping that will help (she’s also had some colicky nights). We have our 1-month appointment on Friday and hoping she gained more weight. It is a bit disheartening because I feel like a failure for her since she depends solely on me...but I am trying to keep my spirits up! On a positive note, her pediatrician did a full exam on her again and everything still is super healthy!

love her!
We are so in LOVE.

We are definitely in LOVE with our baby Estella but that doesn’t make everything that comes with being a new parent easy...especially for me! Our last two doctors appointments were less than awesome since she isn’t gaining enough weight and I can’t help but blame myself.

I know I know...breastfeeding is an art...a science. I thought we were getting the hang of it but who would have thought that making TOO much milk would be such an issue! However, I am very grateful that (so far) that seems like the problem. Please keep us in your prayers as we figure each other out more and more...and that there isn’t some other pathology as to why she isn’t gaining weight.

Estella went on her first LONG road trip over the weekend and attended her first wedding for her Uncle Matt & Auntie Emily! Getting there was actually not so bad. The trip usually takes us 3.5 hours with minimal to moderate traffic and we got there in 4.5 hours! She did so well and we only had to stop twice for about 30 mins at a time.

Navigating Michigan with just Estella was a bit of a challenge...and scary for me. Ryan was in the wedding party so he was traveling with them while I was left alone to travel with her AND carry all our stuff...in wedges (don’t worry, I changed into flats very soon after it got challenging...would never sacrifice safety for fashion now that I have a baby!).
her fabulous outfit from Auntie Maria
After finding the bridal suite in the reception...almost dropping the car seat down the escalator (without her in it) in front of everyone that I didn’t know...and finally feeling safe. I started nursing her then had a slight breakdown. Things that were once so simple and not so scary in life has become...so complicated with much more responsibility.

After all the tears and drama...she fell asleep and did well for the rest of the reception while I carried her in my Moby wrap (thank God for that!). Now....the trip back home to Chicago was more of the real trip.

We had to stop more frequently...we were driving into the eye of a big storm with tornado warnings going off...and the stops were a lot longer. It took us a whole SEVEN hours...not only was she stressed from the car ride but mommy & daddy were definitely stressed too. I think we have decided that we cannot do long road trips for A LONG WHILE and with winter coming, that will also play a factor.

This week is our first week with just her and I. My mom went home last week (boo hoo) but made some meals for us that we have in the freezer (thank God). I started my part-time job (at home) and have found so far, that peeing or even getting a glass of water is challenging.

We went to our 3-week doctor’s appointment and my post-partum appointment (about 35 mins away one way) together alone and I have to admit that I was VERY scared but we did it! I felt very accomplished but so glad we made it home!

I can’t believe that she will be one month soon...

She has changed so much. We have changed so much.

Our life couldn’t be better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment