Monday, February 25, 2013

5 month update with some mommy truths



22 weeks old! Look at our little fashionista! 
Height/Weight- our next doctor’s appointment is when she’s 6 months old so here are the OLD stats from her 4-month visit. We are positive she’s definitely gained some from this point!

4 month-HEIGHT AND WEIGHT
25.5 inches (Gained 1.25 in ONE month) = 90th percentile
Birth- 20 inches
17 inches (head circumference Gained 0.5 in ONE month) = 98th percentile
Birth- 14 inches
13.5 pounds (Gained 2.5 pounds in ONE month) = ~50th percentile
Birth- 7 pounds 12 oz

Size:
Well...it was pretty hard for me to think she was in 6 month clothing, and now at 5 months, her toes are curled in her 6 months pajamas, her pants are turning into capris, and 6-9 month is even getting too “short”. She’s in between wearing 6-9/9 month clothing right now.
           
Favorites:

Food- BREASTMILK!  We haven’t introduced any solids yet but she’s showing a lot of signs that she is definitely intrigued by us eating and grabs for our cups/food EVERY time. We let her hold a slice of  an apple here and there and she gets excited but just holds it. It’s great practice for her. However, we don’t plan to actually start solids with her until at least 7-8 months...all she needs right now is BREASTMILK.

18 weeks :)
Book- Her grandma Dorough got her a book with colors and babies faces...she loves it. Looking at all the pictures and babies’ faces is fun for her! She also started turning the pages on her own during storytime which is so precious.

Song- She loves when I sing to her! It makes my heart smile. She has definitely taken more interest in music in the past month. Her daddy sings the “Small potatoes” theme song to her and she instantly calms down, stares in awe, and smiles!

19 weeks
Toy- It’s amazing she loves toys now! Her favorite is her Elephant Toy. I named him “L.E”! She loves her caterpillar toy that her cousin Xander let her use too. Sophie the giraffe is her best friend that she likes to suck on since she’s been showing signs of teething! Eek!

Non-toy toy- She grabs for anything and everything now! She loves to grab our cups!

Time of day- she is happiest when her daddy gets home at 7p! She’s alert and ready to hang out with him. Worse time of the day is around 8:30pm, which is her bedtime! She has been fighting sleep and gets super crabby.

20 weeks
TV show- Oh my..she’s obsessed with the TV! When she’s up from her nap, I turn music as background music while she plays so that she doesn't turn into a TV zombie.

Thing to giggle at- Her daddy can make her “giggle” like no other person! We finally got the REAL giggle!

Look at the video here:

Firsts/Milestones:

- Like a proud mama, I would like to announce that our baby is SITTING! Ok ok...we prop to sit her up but she is starting to prefer it to play with her toys! She’s getting more confident and trying everyday to sit up more straight. She absolutely amazes us.

- We still aim to give her lots of tummy time since we want her to learn to crawl before standing/walking so we do little exercises with her to help her learn to move her legs while she’s reaching her arms out.

-Look at this video of her in a jumperoo:

This is actually her cousin Xander’s toy that we bought for him when he was her age so it’s funny because we’re getting it right back! Hehe But she LOVES loves LOVES it. We give her limited time in there...she has tons of fun in it.
On Valentine's Day- She's a pro now! :)
- The separation anxiety has officially set in! She knows who she knows and definitely knows whom she doesn’t! As long as she sees our face, she usually is ok but sometimes that’s not enough! It’s been a bit stressful when we have visitors over that just want to play with her or hold her and she just screams...sometimes I wonder if there is anything we are doing wrong...but I realize that her personality is just that. She needs to be eased into unknown situations, loud noises or abrupt movements really shake her up, and she just feels more comfortable with her mom and dad. I hope this eases up as she gets older but for right now, we just try to respond to what she needs and hopes she will start to feel “safe” with our friends and family.

- And unfortunately or fortunately...she has started TEETHING. Drooling, rosy cheeks, grinding on her gums which makes her normal babbling sound pretty interesting and cute, irritating stools, diaper rash (ehh!), and screaming! Oh and let’s not forget to mention- she is super clingy and a very very very bad sleeper now (at night). Mama is EXHAUSTED.

-We had a Bradley Birth Class reunion (see picture). Ryan and I met a couple (The Dixons) that we still keep in touch with after our classes and it’s been great to have support from them! This was only a third of the class that had time to get together. It was fun meeting all the new babies!


haha I love this picture. It looks like she's ready to get to running! :)
Estella has taught me more about myself in these past 5 months than ever. I know my strengths. I know my weaknesses. I know that my strengths are also my weaknesses. My heart means well. But my mind tries to tell me I know better. It’s a never-ending battle and for those that know me well, you understand what I mean.

Valentine's Day with daddy! 
God knew what He was doing when He blessed us with our little “oops” baby. We were not “planning” on starting a family this soon...we had OUR own plans. But God always knows better. He reminded me very clearly by blessing me with Estella exactly the aspect of my character He wants to mold.

My heart has softened with her here...even more than ever before. The struggles I have/had are now being slowly picked away chip by chip. Everyday is a struggle. My patience continues to be tested...not by a crying or irritable baby like you would expect...but by other aspects of my life that have now unfolded with her presence. It’s amazing that responding to her needs really doesn’t stress me out at all. The exhaustion/fatigue is what does but I never deflect that on her or blame her. Thank God for that...I know many women that have been there. And I don’t blame them. Post-partum isn’t just this pity party or poor me thing...it’s real. And some days I think I’m sinking but praying, talking to my husband, venting to fellow first-time moms, and playing with my little girl just brings everything back full circle for me.

21 weeks- Valentine's Day Date Night with mommy & daddy
So many things have changed. The invites to events, hangouts in the city, or birthday parties have decreased from both ends. The family dynamics on both sides have changed. I realize I am invisible and my daughter is in the limelight....and really, honestly, I am 100% happy with that. Our marriage dynamic has changed...we continue to work on it everyday...our love has transformed into a little human being who is the center of our universe...we just have to focus on not forgetting that we are both still physically present. And NO- this does not mean I need a babysitter anytime soon...Estella is only 5 months, we really enjoy time together as a family of 3. Since Ryan works so much and gets home late, anytime when us THREE can spend together is really precious.

Our silly baby loves sitting! 
I’m not going to write you this perfect little story about how we lived happily ever after without difficulty. It has been difficult. I’ve had to take moments to pause...take deep breaths...cry here and there...eat a brownie (haha)...and move forward. There have been many moments with comments, I’ve had to bite my tongue, and I realize those will continue...it is the nature of the situation really. I’m learning to “share” Estella more but I’m still (and probably won’t be ever) okay with others projecting their parenting onto me...unless I ask for advice. It’s been tough...this has been the most challenging job that I’ve been blessed with. Juggling between keeping a baby happy, a husband happy, in-laws happy, my family happy, etc etc does add to it all. But it’s all worth it.

I’ve grown up in a Christian home with Christian values and always learned in church that we need to strive to be more like Him...and at many points of my life, I just say- skip it. That’s way too hard, I’ll just be ME. That should be good enough...right?!

Then this little miss boo thang makes her way into my world...my heart...and every thing seemed so much clearer. I want to be a mother worthy enough that she will look up to one day...I want to be a good influence on her. Children truly are gifts from God...showing us and allowing us to be who He really intended us to be.
Working from home about 20 hours a week is hard but being able to watch Estella grow, learn, and make new discoveries everyday is worth every minute. She really is my calling...who I was made for...who I was meant to be...

People tell you (and they’re right) that your life will never be the same after having a child. What they forget to tell you or fail to mention is that you really don’t mind.
Look at her! Our big girl is sitting all by herself!! We love it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment