Tuesday, February 28, 2012

an amazing encounter.

This week I've been doing double clinic shifts that have left me utterly exhausted...even falling asleep while in a room with a patient. Yes it's THAT bad. After sitting in traffic an hour and finally getting to my morning clinic shift at an inner city community clinic, I sit down and start to think of all the ways we can help these amazing people that have taken the initiative to better their lives by giving up their alcohol and drug addictions. We have limited but awesome resources to help with liver detox, support chronic diseases for different reasons, and just support their body in general. 

Being in the position that I am, I subconsciously tend to focus on HOW I can facilitate the healing process for the patient....HOW my role in their health will restore it....HOW they need me essentially...right? NO! The difference between being a Naturopathic physician for me is that there is a relationship that is built. The work has to come from both sides- we truly have a patient-doctor relationship. I don't just give a patient a script and walk away. There is counseling, learning from each other, reaching goals together, etc. That's the beauty of what I get to do. 

Well today, I had a different experience. A return patient came in to get some care for a complaint that he's been getting treated for. I asked him some questions, took his vitals, and right before I walked out, he stopped me. He told me that the Holy Spirit wanted him to tell me something and specifically addressed me while another intern was also in the room. Let me preface you, this patient does not know anything about me other than my name and what clinical program I am in. 

He shared with me his personal struggles that God has helped him work through including his drug, alcohol, and sexual addictions. I initially was uncomfortable at first with the content that he wanted to share with me but then he ended it by sincerely looking into my eyes and said this...
"God is able. I don't know why the Holy Spirit wanted me to talk to you about this but no matter what you're going through or what people around you are going through, He is able and He will provide. Trust that."

I was stunned. Almost speechless. I thanked him for his story and inspiration. It took me all day to really process that encounter. I called Ryan a couple hours later and told him about the encounter. I began really integrating it into my thoughts and reflecting on it. It couldn't have come at a better time. :)


1 comment:

  1. CHILLS! Seriously, Isn't it the most amazing and most surreal thing how the Lord works. He comes when we need Him the most and when we just need a simple pick me up. I hope you're able to get the rest you need.

    ReplyDelete